Books on Games, Virtual Worlds, Simulations, Cognitive Studies, and Performance Improvement

In the cue-

Reality Is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World by Jane McGonigal

Reading-

Neuromancer by William Gibson; an old science fiction/cyberpunk book, but where much of the thinking on VR/VWs got started. I guess Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson would come next.

Read-

The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Game-based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education by Karl Kapp

Fun Inc.: Why Gaming Will Dominate the Twenty-First Century by Tom Chatfield

Infinite Reality by Jim Blascovich and Jeremy Bailenson
Note: great book. Well worth the read. Will post a blog once I digest my thoughts on this.

Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina

The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande

Learning in 3D: Adding a New Dimension to Enterprise Learning and Collaboration (Essential Knowledge Resource (Pfeiffer)) by Karl Kapp and Tony O’Driscoll

Learning Online with Games, Simulations, and Virtual Worlds: Strategies for Online Instruction (Jossey-Bass Guides to Online Teaching and Learning) by Clark Aldrich

Previous Posts

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

– George Bernard Shaw

If I were to describe my overall path in my career it would be one of creative discontent, never being quite satisfied with what has been achieved and always looking to improve the  quality of performance, whether that is in a product, a service, or in the training we deliver.

Early on in my career I worked as an expert consultant for the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum (Washington, DC), where I oversaw the archiving of over 100,000 holocaust-era documents from the former Soviet Union.  During most of the 1990’s, I worked almost exclusively overseas, where I applied my international affairs background and project management skills to a range of projects in Ukraine, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegivina, the Republic of Georgia, Russia, and Switzerland working in varied organizations, from automotive to humanitarian relief.

During the past 14 years I have been involved in training and development, having started and run my own computer training company and now working for the CUNY School of Professional Studies as a Project Director, managing a large scale emergency preparedness program for the City of New York and now undertaking an even greater scope under the Regional Catastrophic Planning Grant Program for the NY-NJ-CT-PA regional area.

I also teach as an adjunct faculty member in project management for both Baruch College and the Borough of Manhattan Community College. In addition to managing projects, I also write and develop classroom, online, and blended (learning) courses.

Andrew Boyarsky, MSM, PMP
Project Director, City University of New York School of Professional Studies

View Andrew Boyarsky's profile on LinkedIn

About the Author Subpages

3K2 theme by Hakan Aydin